What's so special about IO-Link?
A standardised and uniform interface for universal use in control technology, IO-Link transmits all sensor signals to the controller and passes control data on right down to the lowest actuator level. Automation becomes even more powerful, since with IO-Link sensors and actuators you can carry out configuration tasks and diagnostics from the superordinate controller. IO-Link finally enables access right down to the sensor/actuator level from the control system. And its all really easy! With IO-Link, the most diverse sensors and actuators can be wired up via a standard three-wire cable without any conversion tasks. Special bus systems are not required, since IO-Link is fieldbus-independent.
Benefits for all areas of automation
IO-Link offers considerable potential for optimisation and cost reduction in the life cycle of machines and systems: thanks to easy installation, central configuration via the controller, and continuous diagnostics, different areas such as logistics and planning, installation and commissioning, and service and maintenance benefit immensely. In addition, system availability is significantly improved. Here, you can see details on why this works so well across all areas.
Logistics and planning → lower costs
- Simplified warehousing due to the use of a uniform, universal interface for all variants
- Reduced planning and administration efforts, since the number of variants and interfaces is significantly reduced
- Lower costs since simple, unshielded industrial cables can be used
- Increased investment security thanks to the use of an open standard that is valid for all manufacturers
- Well equipped for future requirements thanks to the greatest possible planning flexibility
Service and maintenance → lower efforts
- Low support efforts due to automatic readjustment
- Longer machine service lives thanks to reliable error detection and localisation, quick sensor replacement, and centralised data configuration
- Less maintenance due to anticipatory error detection
Installation and commissioning → big time savings
- Easy integration into the fieldbus world thanks to uniform interface and traditional, unshielded industrial cables
- Short commissioning times, since the controller takes on the task of configuration
- Step-by-step expansion through simultaneous use of binary and analogue sensors and actuators
System operations → impressive stability
- High automation precision thanks to direct data transmission
- Central configuration using controller - even over long distances
- Reliable readjustment, since data monitoring takes place continuously (e.g. maintenance of a set fill level and of a switching hysteresis)
- Fast sensor replacement and quick format changes thanks to central configuration
- Standard and IO-Link sensors and actuators can be used at the same time