Sales Trainee Engagement Program (STEP)
Listen to the experiences of Sales Engineers who began their careers at Balluff in the STEP program.
Do Real Work
You will do real work. You will talk to customers, help them with their problems and feel really good about it. You will see how products are made, warehoused and shipped and be amazed at what our technology can do. You will research our markets and you will add real value to the organization that will be of benefit for years.
Training & Development
You will receive in-depth training from technical product training to sales techniques. Courses are across a broad spectrum from sensor technologies and industrial Ethernet to negotiation skills and sales methodologies. In addition, a mentor, HR coordinator and direct supervisor will be assigned to help you form a professional development plan and help you be successful.
Regular Travel Opportunities
You will easily gain sales experience on the job as the STEP employee by supporting our mobile demonstration van, along with a member of our sales team. After the first year, you will begin to travel into your assigned region with the goal of understanding the local markets and building initial customer relationships. Also, after one year, STEP employees are sent to Stuttgart Germany to visit Balluff GmbH, our global headquarters, to get exposure to our global culture.
Example 15 Month Schedule
Each STEP employee works for one quarter in key Balluff functions, performing the job of that function, understanding the role and acquiring first-hand knowledge and hands-on education.
- Technical Support: Daily customer contact, customer applications work, service support, building product knowledge, email/phone support.
- Customer Service: Daily customer contact, order entry, email/phone support, stock and pricing requests.
- Operations: Purchasing, material planning, production engineering, warehousing, testing and quality.
- Marketing: Product data support, application marketing, technical displays construction, and market studies.
- Inside Sales: Daily customer contact, lead generation, relationship building, and regular customer visits.
- Local Sales Support: Daily customer contact, account planning, relationship building, and regular customer visits.